Wednesday, February 25, 2009

bruins 6 - panthers 1

For those of you who were checking the blog for my comments on the Bruins' recent losing skid (at last count, 6 losses in 7 games), I apologize for my silence. Chalk it up to suffocating rage!

No, I actually had the computer version of a massive losing skid, having my laptop seize up like the Bruins' powerplay. I am presently using my old system, which runs on unicorn oil and children's dreams, and emits a high-potency dumbening ray that makes everyone within a 50 foot radius as smart as a Lindros. My apologies for letting you down....take it out of my salary.

The biggest issue in the recent losing skid was the the Bruins' effort, which alternated between sub-par and no-par. Their recent 4-3 loss to Tampa Bay and 2-0 loss to the Panthers were actually far better performances than the B's had offered in their previous games. It was a positive to build on (jeez, any more talk like that and I'll end up coaching the Senators...or worse...Tampa...).

Last night's rebound game against the Panthers was, hopefully, another step toward an all-team, all-zone performance. The Bruins scored earlier (Bergeron within the first minute) and supported the puck in all three zones.

Byron Bitz (pictured above, clubbing Panther goalie, Craig Anderson) became the story of the night, scoring two goals and having the hometown crowd chanting his name. I forget that guys like Bitz (and Sabotka, and Hunwick, etc.) are rookies because I've known about them for so long, but last night's match up with only Bitz's 20th NHL game. He's got good size and as the season has unfolded, he's looked more comfortable out there, better able to anticipate the play and get into the grit of the game (note: I just double-checked and this kid is 6 foot 5...damn!).

To me, the bigger story in last night's game was the return of Michael Ryder, who missed the previous 7 games with an orbital bone fracture. When was the last time YOU had an orbital bone fracture? Hurts, don't it?

Ryder had a goal, and an assist, and I have some stats somewhere that talks about the Bruins' record when Ryder scores....I'll see if I can dig it out.

Regardless, last night's game was a far stronger effort from a team that should be as dominant on the ice as they appear to be in the standings. Their 15 point lead over the second-place Capitals has dwindled to 6 points, due to the Bruins' skid and the mounting wins by the Ovechkins....oh, I mean, the Capitals.

Tim Thomas was his heart-stopping but stalwart self, and the B's will now continue a several-game home stand, hopefully regaining some momentum as the playoffs (and the NHL trade deadline approaches).

The Bruins next play the Ducks on Thursday. Surely a duck is no match for a bear. Surely!

1 comment:

Stéfan Popović said...

Wow unicorn oil! Is there any chance that it might work well on elbow ligaments also? Good to read you again!