Friday, October 30, 2009

The World Mourns Another Bruins Fan - R.I.P.

On October 16th, I received word that my brother died, unexpectedly and accidentally. He was just a week shy of his 46th birthday.

He was also a hardcore Bruins fan, and was among the factors that influenced me becoming a Bruins fan at a young age, when these sorts of decisions are very important.

He was a regular reader and an occasional commenter (usually as "bruinsnorth") here on Black White and Gold, and I am pleased that we had this way to connect with each other across the distances, both physical and emotional.

I post this simply to note my loss, explain my absence here (and elsewhere), and to post a couple of photos of my brother's Zippo lighter emblazoned with the Bruins' insignia. Engraved on the front is 1972 - the year the Bruins last won the Stanley Cup - and on the back, his initials.

There is no way to briefly summarize the last couple of weeks, or the range of emotional peaks and valleys my family and I have been through, so I won't even attempt to, here. Suffice it to say that I am nowhere near 'recovered', but am able to focus enough resume writing again, and right now that feels like the right thing to do.

Finally, I look forward to the day when I will be able to engrave a new date on the front of my brother's lighter, demarcating another Stanley Cup win for our Bruins. It is an achievement I've waited my whole life for, and sadly, one my brother did not live long enough to see come to fruition.

Thank you for your patience and understanding during this long silence. Black, White and Gold will resume its regularly scheduled broadcasts this week.

1 comment:

Todd Stewart said...

Courage. Our thoughts are with you Scott.