Wednesday, July 2, 2008

bruins sign michael ryder

A while ago, I was part of a "pre-season training session" with a former NHL player, who will remain nameless. He presently works with the Canadiens, so other people in the training session were asking him about Habs players, and getting his behind-the-scenes input.

When they got to Michael Ryder, the ex-NHLer became very serious and said that he is a gifted, natural sniper, but expects things to come without putting in the work.

I suspect partnering Michael Ryder with Claude Julien, his former coach in junior, the AHL and with the Canadiens, will bring about a change in work ethic. Ryder had his best seasons as a pro under Julien's guidance.

The addition of Ryder strengthens the Bruins' Right Wing, and almost certainly signals the end of Murray's time with the B's.

Personally, I think it is a good acquisition, as the Bruins will benefit from a consistent 30-goals-per-season scorer, AND because I am a big fan of people from Newfoundland.

NOTE: it gives me great pains to carry an image of ANYONE in a Habs sweater on this blog. No Ryder-in-Bruins-Sweater images available yet.

5 comments:

mark said...

Geez a former NHL-er working with the Canadiens. Way to narrow it down a little.

I hadn't put the Julien connection together and I think it's a good one for the Bruins. What I thought was a bad pick up may turn out to be the best value for dollar signing. I mean other than Jeff Finger (hahahahaha).

mark said...

Just read that the Sens are keeping Shean Donovan. I've been a Donovan fan for a long time and though I don't think he's proven himself yet with the Sens, I think he's been a better fit than say Commodore or Stillman. What do you think?

The Editor said...

yeah, donovan's a tough one. never proved himself as a bruin either. but i DO like him. i think he came across in the trade for schaeffer, and they're very similar players, with huge potential that doesn't seem to come together. but they are each one-key-thing away from exploding. maybe that's coaching, maybe its a line mate.
maybe its consistent off-ice incidents with ray emery.

mark said...

Adam Proteau has called the Ryder signing the 3rd worst UFA move this season...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/17141-Screen-Shots-The-five-worst-signings-of-2008.html

The Editor said...

well, the link is dead, as is my interest in proteau's opinion.

the proof will be in the pudding. not in the proteau.

bring on the season!