Tuesday, April 14, 2009

bruins versus canadiens in first round

Bruins fans are a little startled by the prospect of such a great season being upended by the Bruins' first round opponent, le Canadiens. The stats are certainly in the Canadiens' favour over the long-term (24-7 going back to 1929-30), and memories are still fresh from the 2004 season's horrible demise.

My first year in Montreal I watched the Habs put the Bruins out of the playoffs. I sat in a dim bar as the day faded outside the open windows and ate Indian food, watching the Habs storm back for a win. On my birthday.

This would have been the 2002 team backed by that year's next-Patrick-Roy, Jose Theodore. After briefly passing the mantle to Huet, the Habs bestowed the honorific on Cary Price, who happens to be a phenomenal goaltender.

What I'm getting at is: since the Canadiens have beaten the Bruins with goalies that clearly were not Patrick Roy, what happens now that they have a guy who could become the next one?

Ultimately though, the B's can really only build their game around their strengths. Certainly the recurring storyline of the Bruins and Habs rivalry, as well as personal storylines - such as Claude Julien's firing by Bob Gainey, Michael Ryder's free-agent signing with the Bruins and Chara and Lucic's popularity with the Habs - should motivate the Bruins' players for each game.

If the Bruins juggernaut rolls out and everyone plays to their best of their abilities, the Bruins will overpower the Habs. But shaky games are things that the Canadiens feed on in this rivalry, so the Bruins will need to be consistent and disciplined.

Despite media suggestions to the contrary, I predict this series will not evolve into a bloodbath, given that neither team can afford it (and are too well coached to allow it to happen), but selfish penalties could turn any game either way. Each player is one noticeable elbow away from costing his team the game.

On a trip this weekend for a hockey tournament I had a chance to talk to a lot of Canadiens' fans. To a one they said that the Bruins will win this round, even in the face of my pretty convincing argument to the opposite.

I must admit that I found this tone a little reassuring, but I still can't wait for Thursday night to judge for myself.

No comments: