Sunday, November 23, 2008

bruins 3 - canadiens 2 (SO)

In a game where Patrick Roy "came home" to partially make amends for how he departed from Montreal, where Georges Laraque shadowed Milan Lucic, trying to instigate a fight that would somehow make amends for Lucic's pummeling of Komisarek on November 13th, and where the Canadiens tried to make amends for their big loss against the B's in their last game, only one reconciliation stands out - the Bruins, this year, are making amends for last season's losses against the Habs.

I watched part of the game at home, and part of it in my favourite watering hole, surrounded by the Bleu, Blanc et Rouge faithful. They cheered every hit, every shot (and there were a lot in the third, where Boston was outshot 18-5), and ultimately the tying goal from Koivu. And rightly so, I should add.

However, when Blake Wheeler potted the lone goal in the shootout, I was the only one in a crowded bar clapping. Ever to their credit, the Habs fans simply turned and glowered...no swearing in either official language or throwing of things in my direction. At least, not that I noticed in my minor revelry.

When Thomas ultimately stopped Koivu, the last of the three shooters, there was only one voice cheering in the thick silence of the bar, above the announcers on RDS. Despite how it may sound, I wasn't trying to be "showy" about the B's win - I was just very pleased to see them continue their winning streak against their oldest rivals.

In the win, I think Tim Thomas' comments aptly summed up my feelings:

"To come in here and get a win feels really good, especially in a shootout. I've seen Saku score on that last shot and him being the one walking off the ice with his arms raised and all happy. I was happy to be the one with my arms raised and all happy."

And so, a sense of making amends for previous games, and perhaps continuing to reconcile this season's play against les Habs with last years'.

The Bruins now retain sole possession of first place in the Eastern Conference, and are within three points of San Jose for first in the League.

The Bruins play again on Wednesday, against the Sabres.

5 comments:

mark said...

i think a win like this is important less so because its against a rival who has i think its fair to say gotten the "upper hand" for the last... ummm... 80 years, and more so because its against a team that everyone has been saying is going to win the east.

really, i'm not sure that there is a team in the east other than maybe the rangers and capitals (whaaaa??), who can compete with the bruins the way they've been playing.

maybe the pens if they got their blue line togetrher - but its NOT the same team as last years.

The Editor said...

It's a good point. I am always surprised when I look at the standings. A team like the Habs are not actually doing that badly, but there are other teams that are really rocking.

I think the element that is missed by many analysts is that teams will make or miss the post-season or not by one- or two-points.

Boston WILL falter during the december thru january lull that they ALWAYS falter in. The hope is that they've accumulated enough points and enough positive work habits that they can carry on despite what seems to be the inevitable lag.

Thanks for the comment!

Unknown said...

In French there is a saying:

"Après la pluie, le beau temps"

In English, there is also a saying:

"What goes up, must come down"

I think maybe the Canadiens will be okay after all.

The Editor said...

For sure: after the rain comes the sun. And I think if you read through the blog, you'll find I'm not saying the Bruins will dominate the league all year. In fact, what I'm saying is they need all the points they can get on this streak because the Eastern Conference can be so close. Often games will be decided by just one goal.

Just ask Ryan O'Bryne!

Merci beaucoup pour votre commentaire, Jean.

mark said...

Jean, for sure the Habs will be OK. I'm still thinking they'll win the East. But consecutive wins by the Bruins says alot about the Bs and probably less so about the Habs.

Scott, the Bruins' inevitable new year's lull will conincide with the Sens inevitable new year's lull. Which means that no matter what, the Bruins will never at any point be last in the East.