Wednesday, November 5, 2008

summer with zee

Since the Bruins have had a few days lay-off (ominous words in such troubled financial times) I thought I'd post about "Summer With Zee", a documentary I saw on the NHL Network last week.

This past summer, Bruins cap'n Zdeno Chara climbed Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, as a fundraising effort for the Right to Play organization.

Chara is typically shown to be a semi-human, test-tube created man-giant with a supernatural impetus to work out. So it was refreshing to me to see him in a more honest light, talking openly about what he's gained from sport and his effort to give back. He came off as humble and generous, I found.

Coupled with Andrew Ference, the B's may have the most socially aware back line (to say nothing of their plus minus). I'm sure the opposition will respect that as they try to gain the zone...

You can watch "Summer With Zee" here.

And do as I did: enjoy watching someone climb a mountain as you eat potato chips.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not sure I even like the Bruins (this blog is slowly convincing me they are on the right track, but I mean, c'mon, the Bruins? Thank God for the Leafs, that's all I gotta say) but let's not forget Zdeno Chara is a hell of a player and a good captain. Honestly I have been impressed by the way he has been playing the little I have seen him. What are your thoughts on his play?

The Editor said...

I think he's having a better year this year. He was so dominant a few years ago, so I know the level he can play at. He assumed the mantle of captaincy in Boston, which cannot be easy, and he's handled that well. There's a lot of flak thrown his way because of his 7mil salary. If he makes a mistake (which defenders do), everyone gets on him.

But for the most part, the change in the Bruins organization over the last couple of years can - I think - be attributed to some key personnel decisions: Chara, Savard, hiring Chirarelli and Julien, but probably most import, bringing Cam Neely into the fold.

Chara, at his best, is symbolic of a harder work ethic and greater effort on and off the ice.

But he's no Jeff Finger.

Anonymous said...

So long as Chara makes it out of his own end without giving me a heart attack I'm fine. I agree with in his acceptable captaincy but at 7mil? What is the extra 4mil for? Sticks? They tug log jams down the Fraser River in front of my eyes and I swear it's lumber for Zdeno. Yes, in the past when he was a freak he was intimidating. Now the jig is up, everybody knows his all around ineptitude of the very game and he should give half his salary to The Society Of The Preservation Of The Snows Of Kilimanjaro (I’m not sure he can read). Or Instead of climbing up a mountain spend some time with a personal coach in the summer. Play Hockey or get lost. By the way I think Cam N was driving the tug. Ok, I agree we've turned a nasty chapter but can we trade Chara for 7mil? It might save the forest industry in B.C
-mg

The Editor said...

Ooof. Tough crowd ^^ up there. Well, I hear you. It's possible you and I subscribe to Old School Defense that involves...you know...defense.

But from the games I've seen this year, Big Z is far more responsible in his own zone. He's running around a lot less, he's meaner, and he's doing that ultra-scary "smiling while punching guys in the face" thing that is a hallmark of Bruins leaders.

He does get beat sometimes, but so did Ray Bourque (often, in fact) and so did Brad Park, and so do other D in the league.

As far as $7mil goes...I have no idea how to evaluate costs like that. Like, really, who is worth that amount?

The Editor said...

...Other than me, of course...